Latency Info

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
corlian
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Latency Info

Post by corlian »

I'm curious to learn more about Resolume and visual latency. I'm not experiencing a problem or perceiving problematic latency. My main performance project is getting large/complex and I want to be mindful of any potential limitations in the future.

-Do visual effects add latency, even in minuscule amounts?

-How much would latency differ between loading the same effects in serial or in parallel (via different layers etc)?

-If there's any latency at all, do Resolume's own visual effects differ from third-party plugins in latency time?

-If there's latency, does bypassing the effect negate it? Or would you need to remove the effect?

Thanks.

Blusound

Re: Latency Info

Post by Blusound »

Very intersting questions.
Hope someone in the team could reply to these.
Regards

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

-Do visual effects add latency, even in minuscule amounts?
more effects use more resources, so can drop FPS. I wouldn't call that latency.
-How much would latency differ between loading the same effects in serial or in parallel (via different layers etc)?
Depends on your hardware, try out what works, and which FPS is still acceptable for your case.
-If there's any latency at all, do Resolume's own visual effects differ from third-party plugins in latency time?
FFGL effects should be fastest, built in effects will be faster doing the same as external ones.
Wire effects are heavier than FFGL
-If there's latency, does bypassing the effect negate it? Or would you need to remove the effect?
Bypassing the effect bypasses it's processing. Also setting the effect opacity to 0% does.
Bypassed effects use a lot less processing.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

corlian

Post by corlian »

Thanks for the info!

I do well with processor and FPS. I'm curious about latency, in particular (for my use) the difference between the incoming audio signal and the visual changes, or the difference between a midi input and the effect.

Mostly I haven't noticed anything problematic, however I want to learn best practices since I have a large project. Also because latency is a big issue before and after Resolume in terms of the audio reaching my laptop, and the video connection, cable distance, back of house distance, and projectors. I also use Resolume in conjunction with my own music performance, and latency is a common and notable issue in music performance.

Are there any stats on latency in Resolume?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Cable length won't add any noticeable latency to the audio signal. Digital mixers will add delay.
Sound card inputs will add delay too, they usually have a buffer size you can change, less buffer gives better latency, but worse stability.

Video delay is usually more problematic, becasue you get less frames in video than in audio.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu