Resolume "hot" backup. Possible through Rest API?

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
k0mario
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Resolume "hot" backup. Possible through Rest API?

Post by k0mario »

Greetings! Resolume never had a good "hot" backup option. The way it works is:
-save composition on main
-transfer composition file to backup
-open composition file on backup.
This workflow kills all benefits of Resolume's flexibility (which are the best on the market). When you can make changes on the fly very quickly.
Via OSC it's possible to sync change of parameters but add, remove or change position in the grid of sources, effects and other small things are out of reach.
How it shall work:
-make changes in composition
-save composition
-update composition on backup machine without reopening composition file. even some file transfer would be ok (hello, freefilesync+disguise), but reopening composition again every time you made changes is just not the way.
Rest API in fact gave a possibility to do this. Now you can GET composition, clean the data of "read-only" parameters and some other stuff (also could be better organized for backing up task, right now I'm doing it with Touchdesigner) and PUT it to backup machine. But there is one thing I can't get: clip position in the grid. It's not present in documentation but in example you can see that it's actually possible. How can I get it and put to another machine?

P.S. would be really great if main/backup workflow would be re-worked because it will make it possible for Resolume to replace even such systems as Watchout. Which is ultra-outdated and awful for live events but have this simple main/backup feature working well. I almost convinced my company to shift to Arena but this was a deal-breaker. And tools to improve main/backup workflow are there already.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Resolume "hot" backup. Possible through Rest API?

Post by Zoltán »

You'd need to make this in an external app, but should be doable.
We're making a Websocket API which will be usable to subscribe to item changes.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

heena@impact
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Resolume "hot" backup. Possible through Rest API?

Post by heena@impact »

@zoltan do you have a sample code on how can I use web sockets?