Arena goes unresponsive, needs multiple reboots on M1 Macbook Pro 16gb

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
yaboonabi
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Arena goes unresponsive, needs multiple reboots on M1 Macbook Pro 16gb

Post by yaboonabi »

Hello! I am using Arena 7.13.2 on my 16" M1 Macbook Pro (16gb) running Ventura 13.0.1. The program is going unresponsive A LOT.
Most of the time it's right at launch; I launch Arena, the interface comes up for the composition, then my cursor begins the "busy rainbow swirl" before anything is triggered and I can't actually do anything but force quit and try again. Sometimes I need to reboot the Macbook before it successfully relaunches. The most annoying thing is that I'm not getting any kind of crash report/logs from Resolume most of the time it happens, although I was lucky to get a Mac OS crash report the last time which I will attach to this post.
-I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, drilling down to system library files to clear up a potential bad install.
-It is not composition specific. My first thought was I had a corrupted composition since I tend to make use one template for my weekly gig and swap in video material as needed, but it happens on any composition, including the tutorials.
-My compositions are very basic, 3-4 layers at the most. No crazy routing or input work. I do use an Akai midi controller, but I have checked for signal feedback and haven't seen anything wrong there.
Crash report from Mac OS
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D6ci-r ... share_link
I appreciate any insight into this.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Arena goes unresponsive, needs multiple reboots on M1 Macbook Pro 16gb

Post by Zoltán »

Looks like a hang report.
We're looking into an issue where trying to open many mp4 files on Monterey and later, the OS file readers slow down a lot, to the point where Resolume can appear frozen.
Are you using lots of Mp4 files with OSX Monterey or later?

Try renaming the last composition Resolume wants to open on startup, that should at least allow Resolume to start.

Lots of DXV files seem to work fine, so I'd recommend converting the mp4 files to DXV.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

yaboonabi

Post by yaboonabi »

I can try the DXV conversion, I try to avoid that with all of my files due to the file size increase but it's better than having the whole works seize up.
It's just strange, I've used Avenue and now Arena over a year now for quite a few shows with a mix of all different file types (mp4, gif, dxv, etc). The performance has been pretty good until recently, the freezing issues have only started in the last 2 months.

Thanks!

jvalle07

Mac M1 Pro max 64GB can't run gets unresponsive

Post by jvalle07 »

Im having this issue on my Mac M1 Pro max 64gb runinng ventura 13.0.1 and resolume arena 7.13.2
I have to restar several times to get mp4 videos running, I can see. the thumb but they don't play. It also gets unresponsive with the thinking will and have to force quit application and restar several times till I get to make it responsive. One it gets there it goes ok, but If I quit I start all over again.
I pretty concerned I can't rely on this for my live performance. Does anybody can help me fixing this? thanks

NiceTrip

Post by NiceTrip »

I have the same issue, with very similar specs.

I renamed the Documents/Resolume Arena/Compositions folder, started Resolume again and it came up (empty) and worked. I quit without saving, deleted the new empty Compositions folder, and renamed my old folder back to Compositions, restarted Resolume Arena, and now it works normally. 🎉

Could developers please add some kind of stability check on startup, and do this composition switch-around automatically in the background? 🙏

Reading some of the threads on this forum I see advice to convert .mp4 files to DXV, since otherwise they can cause this weird seize-up. Maybe some sort of warning about stability issues should be issued in the software, when you first load them? I have a lot of .mp4 files to convert, and given that some of the DXV versions are 10x the size of the mp4 versions, I will probably need a new external SSD to host them on. 7 days before the show... 😬

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

NiceTrip wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 18:58 Could developers please add some kind of stability check on startup, and do this composition switch-around automatically in the background?
Apple is pretty unpredictable in breaking things with new OSX releases...

We're looking into a workaround for this.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

www.audioframes.de

Post by www.audioframes.de »

I have the same issue on M1 Macbook Air 16 GB. Does Resolume provide a Solution soon or will i have to go back to Big Sur ? There i didnt have this issue.
I was stable running Shows on Big Sur.
Can i batch convert all my Videos to DXV ?
I even reinstalled Ventura and Time Machined a Backup from last summer -
to find out its a Bugs with Resolume and Ventura.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

www.audioframes.de wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 06:48 Can i batch convert all my Videos to DXV ?
Yes, with Alley https://resolume.com/support/en/conversion-with-alley
or AME.

spbaker

Post by spbaker »

Just adding another voice to this same issue. It has only just started happening, no idea why.

elFlippe

Post by elFlippe »

I'm facing the same issue and it seemed to work better if I block all network connections. My system is syncing a lot with iCloud since the "store in iCloud" option is active. May this cause the trouble?