NDI Connection laggy/low FPS

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
_Ineffable_
Is taking Resolume on a second date

NDI Connection laggy/low FPS

Post by _Ineffable_ »

So I want to use NDI to enable smooth switching of VJs during a gig.
I have been running test extensively.

The setup is simple;
Direct Cat7 UTP connection from one PC to the other with manually set IP and WIFI disabled.
From Macbook M1-MAX to RAZER 15 Base 2019 (i7&RTX2060,16GB RAM)

It works fine when using 1080p@60. Even with 3 screens. Adding a 4th. Drops the FPS to rougly 45.
This is not ideal but it is acceptable.
However, when using only one 2160p@60 screen the stability and smoothness drops dramatically!
setting the composition to 30FPS iproves things a little but it is still not where it should be.
The network usage is only 30MB/s so that is well within the 1Gb bandwidth.

Why is is that it is having such a hard time? There is no bottleneck in sight to me. CPU, GPU and network are all doing fine.

I have made a screenrecording comparing the original from the Mac and the NDI signal on the PC. Have a look at it here;
phpBB [video]

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!
Yeah don't worry! I put it on autopilot!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: NDI Connection laggy/low FPS

Post by Zoltán »

The next release will have some NDI improvements which could also address this issue, keep an eye on the newsletter ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

_Ineffable_

Post by _Ineffable_ »

it has been a while but I figured I would post a follow-up.

The situation has definetely imporved with the new update which is nice :)
Especially when setting the NDI connection to YUV 8 bit it works a lot smoother!
However it is still not ideal when connecting 2 or 3 4K streams. Eventhough this is still way within the bandwidth limitations.
When connected to 3 4k streams I get roughly 30FPS. which is tolerable but not the preffered 60 fps.
If there is anything that can still be done to improve this i would love to know!
But still, great work on the update! I am really happy the situation has drastically improved.
Yeah don't worry! I put it on autopilot!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

NDI switching is going to add some latency, most VJ's won't accept that, they need to be direct with minimal latency as well as NDI sampling isn't the best for quality. Just giving you a heads up if other guests are coming to plug in (not familiar with your setup or situation, just giving general advice)

@Zoltan, is Arena using HX or is it still full blown NDI? I know a 3G Full NDI stream is about 250mbps where HX is only 25 (also loss in quality)

visions

Post by visions »

Arvol wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 14:19 @Zoltan, is Arena using HX or is it still full blown NDI? I know a 3G Full NDI stream is about 250mbps where HX is only 25 (also loss in quality)
Ndi HX it is intended for video streaming, because it compress in h264 / h265. Compared with old full-bandwidth NDI, this compression is uses less bandwidth, but consumes a lot more CPU, and has much more delay, so it is not an option for vjing.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Arvol wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 14:19 @Zoltan, is Arena using HX or is it still full blown NDI? I know a 3G Full NDI stream is about 250mbps where HX is only 25 (also loss in quality)
Resolume can receive HX, sending it is not suported at the moment.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

gideonkiers
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by gideonkiers »

hello there, I'm new to Resolume, and a potential future user. I have a specific setup in mind for a theater play we'll be working on, and I'd like to ask if you think this might work. I have two 4k NDI camera's (https://marshall-usa.com/cameras/CV374/), the image of one I will need to chroma key into the image of the other, and then further combine in resolume with clips and stills, and send out to a 2k projector. Lag is not a really big issue, but framerate of course is, as well as smooth mixing, keying, playback and stutter-free camera feeds. The computer I intend to run this on is the Apple Mac Studio M2 Max - 12CPU/30GPU 32GB Ram. Can anyone comment / advise ? Much appreciated ! All best, Gideon

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

You should be good with that setup. I use the Aida NDI camera's (same thing as the Marshall's) and mix about 4 of those camera's and 2-3 of the PTZ optics NDI cameras in Resolume and send that out to a couple 4K screens. I use PC but that mac should have enough power. Keep an eye on it's thermals though, thermal throttling is still an issue with the M series chips and heavy GPU load. (Same issue mac's have always had) but it looks like that setup should work nicely.