New Macbook

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

New Macbook

Post by p8guitar »

Looking for a new Macbook… do you think it makes Sense to buy the 64 GB model, or is this overbuying?
Would you ever need such an amount of RAM running Resolume and Ableton Live?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: New Macbook

Post by Arvol »

Why a mac? Just asking because you get more value for your investment when you go the PC route. :)

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 22:49 Why a mac? Just asking because you get more value for your investment when you go the PC route. :)
Now that’s just hilarious. Show me any laptop with 64GB of VIDEO RAM? Besides the M1 Max! LOL :twisted:

Show me any other laptop with an internal SSD that runs at 7,400MB/sec! LOL ;)

Mac’s also have the highest resale value after a couple years of ownership, too.

Because there’s always some other dumb idiot apple fan who will buy it from you for a lot of $.

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

The gigabyte Aero 15 supports 64GB of standard RAM. I own one :roll:
The new M1 does not have 64GB dediated video memory. It has unified memory which is shared across CPU and GPU
I ordered one maxed out, will see how it performs

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

dirtyjohn_lv wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 15:54 The gigabyte Aero 15 supports 64GB of standard RAM. I own one :roll:
The new M1 does not have 64GB dediated video memory. It has unified memory which is shared across CPU and GPU
I ordered one maxed out, will see how it performs
It also uses SSD swap memory … and, at 7.4GB/s, that’s not too shabby.
Last edited by resolumejunkie on Wed Oct 20, 2021 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

resolumejunkie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 04:12
Arvol wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 22:49 Why a mac? Just asking because you get more value for your investment when you go the PC route. :)
Now that’s just hilarious. Show me any laptop with 64GB of VIDEO RAM? Besides the M1 Max! LOL :twisted:

Show me any other laptop with an internal SSD that runs at 7,400MB/sec! LOL ;)

Mac’s also have the highest resale value after a couple years of ownership, too.

Because there’s always some other dumb idiot apple fan who will buy it from you for a lot of $.
Someone drank too much of the apple kool-aid lol

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 16:38 Someone drank too much of the apple kool-aid lol
I bought a new Mac a year ago. It’s selling for 80% of new price on eBay still. Great asset.

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Actually noone answered my question. So noone of you knows how much RAM you usually need to run Resolume? Or is it just too difficult to tell, because everyone uses different video resolutions, effects...?

Maybe there is a technical upper limit, like Resolume could only deal with 32 GB GPU memory or so?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

p8guitar wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 18:06 Actually noone answered my question. So noone of you knows how much RAM you usually need to run Resolume? Or is it just too difficult to tell, because everyone uses different video resolutions, effects...?

Maybe there is a technical upper limit, like Resolume could only deal with 32 GB GPU memory or so?
Ram is used for loading decks, thumbnails and FFGL's. So if you just plan to play clips and don't have thousands being loaded at once, 4-8gb should be plenty. If you plan to load several hundred clips at a time in multiple decks and also want to use a bunch of plugins, then maybe 16-32gb would be worthwhile.
I always put 64gb in my builds just to be safe but I rarely use more than 24GB

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

p8guitar wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 18:06 Actually noone answered my question. So noone of you knows how much RAM you usually need to run Resolume? Or is it just too difficult to tell, because everyone uses different video resolutions, effects...?

On an M1 with 8GB of unified memory, Resolume would let me have (6) 1280x720p24 slices out NDI. On an M1 with 16GB of unified memory, Resolume would let me have (9) 1280x720p24 slices out NDI. But, it was only using 12-13GB of unified memory. It wasn’t using all 16GB. But, the CPU and GPU were maxed out at 95%+.

So, yes, there is a cause and effect relationship between unified memory and some types of performance in Resolume. But, until you test two different machines and compare them side-by-side, you can’t really know what the exact differences are. Sorry. But, unified memory is a new idea and no one really knows how to think about it or predict with any level of certainty what amount you need or what the impact will be, because regular people like us don’t know where the bottlenecks are. Ya know?

Is it CPU? Is it GPU? Is it memory bandwidth? Is it OpenGL’s single-thread rendering? Who knows? I don’t.