Wrong resolutions only on Resolume

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
zaniz
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Wrong resolutions only on Resolume

Post by zaniz »

Hi guys !
Mysterious resolutions only on my Resolume.
In a recent gig, I use my MBP 2017 with 3 apple HDMI adapters sending to 3 outputs: one main screen 3360x1200 and 2 HD full lateral panels, plugged to an E2 feeding 3 LED panels.
Everything was going ok, I was getting about 60fps. Suddenly in a reboot, Im starting to get 12fps. When I go to the advanced output, the main screen output was showing 7200x2160, probably the frame rate was getting low because the large resolution plus the other 2 HD outputs. In the end, I have to use my backup PC to play at the gig. VDMX at the same time on the same setup, was showing the correct resolutions.
When I came back to my studio, Resolume now show my built-in display is 3360x2100, even with the System Preferences showing the built-in display 1650x1080. If I lower the resolution, I always get some extra pixels ONLY ON Resolume.
When I connect an extra 4K Monitor, the things get even worse, Resolume shows the Display 2 as 7680x4320 (screen shots annexed)

Things I tryed:
Reinstall Resolume
Reset SMC
Reset PRAM
Clean install of Big Sur with formatting the ssd (the problem started with Mojave)
Connect disconnect all the adapters/hdmi cables in any order with the machine on and off

Machine MBP 2017 Radeon Pro 560, Resolume 7.3.2 on Big Sur now
I know this machine is not great, but it worked very well for me over the past 4 years and here in Brazil the new Apple machines will cost about the same of a nice car.

I really love the combination of Resolume/VDMX and all of my realtime work is based on them, so any help will be appreciated.

Again, thanks for this great software !
Cheers from Brazil
Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 9.25.48 AM.png
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 9.26.26 AM.png

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Wrong resolutions only on Resolume

Post by Arvol »

I haven't used a Mac in about a decade now, but when I did, this tool was a lifesaver. Not sure if it will help or not?
https://www.madrau.com/

zaniz

Post by zaniz »

Dear Arvol, many thanks for your tip !
I will give a try and tell you.

Thanks Mate

zaniz

Post by zaniz »

Arvol wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 18:54 I haven't used a Mac in about a decade now, but when I did, this tool was a lifesaver. Not sure if it will help or not?
https://www.madrau.com/

Unfortunately switchresX don't work too. it only let me use my 4k monitor as 3360x2100, the last resolution left imprinted on my MBP by the E2 switcher.

Anyway, many thanks Arvol

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

You should be able to create a custom resolution using this tool and then try out the custom resolution and see if it works.
youtube.com/watch?v=u3h6-lNl9jI

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Some of these resolutions might be a HiDPI resolution.
OSX uses these to do scaling of the UI elements, but it will still show you images or video at the display's native resolution.
SwitchresX can tell you if the resolutions available are HiDPI
Here, for example I have 2x 1920x1200 resolutions for my built in display which is native 2880x1800
Képernyőfotó 2021-10-25 - 21.58.22.png
For best Results on the output, make sure your output display is set to a non HiDpi Resolution, so running at a natively supported resolution.
(very similarly to Windows, where the display scaling should be 100%)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

zaniz

Post by zaniz »

Dear Zoltán, the only resolution switchresX can set correctly, is 3360x2100 @24, any other resolution gets some 3000 extra pixels even with switchresX. somehow the E2 switcher leave the extra pixels “printed” on my machine. this extra pixels shows only on Resolume and only if the resolution is set other than the fatidical 3360x2100. the System Preferences and VDMX shows the correct resolutions, this made me think if Resolume get the current resolution of the system from diferent place.
the strangest bug of all.

Zontán thanks for your attention mate

vejas

Post by vejas »

Just a follow up, the double resolution seems to happen when you connect to a graphic mixer, it happens randomly, means that one day is ok and other it doubles, it happened when I used a analog way rs4, fortunately as Zoltan said with switch res you can disable the hidp mode, I also wonder where Resolume take the resolution because tested with millumin and madmapper the resolution appears correct.