Cue/timeline based shows?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
LegitJesseee
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Cue/timeline based shows?

Post by LegitJesseee »

I was reading back at some forum posts from late 2013, and they mention that creating a timeline system for cue based linear shows was in the works.

Is this still on the roadmap? Or did it get cut? It would be a great feature for those who use Arena for linear cue based shows.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Cue/timeline based shows?

Post by Arvol »

If you use a mac, this might be worth looking into:
https://imimot.com/vezer/

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

when you allready did read all the topics here you will have come across multiple solutions with external controlles...

first ist allaready mentions veezer.... and i got a 2cnd
https://benjamin.kuperberg.fr/chataigne/en#about
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

Im voting for this one.

To be fair , it's the only function i'm really still missing in Resolume, and from what i notice in the field the only thing thats holding it back on a lot of big jobs with media server soft like watchout, D3, modulo , pixera ...

Yes i know the different workflows with touchdesigner or chataigne or whatever to trigger your clips on a timeline, but having a discussion with a light designer yesterday he did have a point.
Why would i use 2 pieces of software while i can use software that does it all...

How my ideal timeline would look like ?
It's a optional panel in the "view" menu .
It opens a horizontal panel that looks like your after effects composition timeline.
It has a 'Timeline Active" checkbox so Resolume will play the timeline when pressing Enter for example.
Another checkbox that allows you still trigger clips manually as we are already doing , or turns that part off.
You can change duration of your timeline, and you can add or remove layers / bypass them.
You can make cues / markers , and there is player control to go forward/backward/pauze/stop/next cue/prev cue

The way i see this working is dragging clips / sources / effects from the current system, into the timeline, it makes a cue, you can change the length by dragging and it listens to its clip properties (play once, loop, pingpong etc) .
When the cue is triggered on the timeline , it activates the clip in the current system.
There would be 2 new source clip : "timeline layer" & : "timeline comp" , that you can add in your composition again,so all the other stuff already there can still be used , effects can even be added on a timeline clip , this layer can be output routed or part or composition output , slice transform can still apply.
It would be possible to have a bypassed muted group to collect all your clips and cues , use that group to populate your timeline, return the output to a clip above that group and take it on from there.
This way you could have your live VJ'ing power, and if your client request a very specific sequence even halfway the show , you trigger your prepped timeline there and off we go.

It's a early mind sketch and plenty of holes in my story here i believe, but i have a dream...

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

What's wrong with using the next column button and animating your clip parameters?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Lightart

Post by Lightart »

+1 i would love a timeline based solution.

So like a timeline in a video editor softwear with an Audio layer, effect layer, video input layer etc.

Or at lest an "start next column" solution ;)

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

Zoltán wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 18:43 What's wrong with using the next column button and animating your clip parameters?
That its not timeline based and makes a mess with timed blanks.
Lets say on layer 1 column 1 there is a clip of 10mins.
At 5min, halfway that clip i need to to start a clip on layer 2 routed to a monitor via advanced output.
Either i got to start it at exact 5min or put it in column 2 with a 5min blank before.
If i put it in column 2, then i should bypass column trigger for layer 1 , as it will stop the clip playing there.

It's just one of many examples, and there is always a way to mark it work in Resolume i won't deny that, it's about ease of programming / use / flexibility in a show that's rather time based than live / variable cue based.

Resolume can already take in timecode, would be nice to have this timecode as a layer in a timeline aswell , and gives option to add custom cues to specific moments in the timecode , even to trigger "text source" clips on a seperate layer / monitor to send reminders to the operator , independent of the timecode itself which might change.

For me it's the switch between Ableton's 'live' and 'timeline' mode, and that makes it a full and versatile program.

SUPERVOID.tv

Post by SUPERVOID.tv »

+1

This can’t be that hard to implement and it’s absurd that we’ve gone this long without it. I just tried to sell a tour on resolume and chatagine but the powers that be trusted resolume but not an additional piece of software on top of that, so it went to d3. You guys are leaving a lot of money on the table!!

If you always choose to cater to club VJs who bitch about having to pay for anything you’ll always be ignoring the people who are happy to pay for a good software and can bring in more money anyway.

AngeloDV
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by AngeloDV »

Just adding my +1 vote

Timeline will open a lot more doors than column/triggers

Intange
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Intange »

You can turn it into a timeline show by using the composition next column push. I have 2 servers networked into a raspberry Pi running companion. When I need a timeline sequence I set the command in companion via OSC to push the next column composition button. OSC is the way to control Resolume. When I playback videos they are in perfect sync. Everything is synched. I start Resolume with an OSC push to start the motion background im using, which puts both servers in sync. I also control my blackmagic router with companion. I can switch multiple outputs with one click on my streamdeck thats plugged into my Pi and can switch between main and backup server seamlessly, you dont see the switch at all.