DXV Preview's on Finder Mac " When ? "

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
VJ Psyberpixie
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

DXV Preview's on Finder Mac " When ? "

Post by VJ Psyberpixie »

Hello Resolume, fellow VJ's, Code developers, software team, and all others that can help!

Would like to know if there's any update as to when we will have " DXV Previews again " on MAC Finder.
It's been " Years now " and not sure how other VJ's are coping with this MUCH needed feature.

I'm aware that you can preview them in Alley and Resolume but it's an excruciating task when searching and organizing Thousands of video files off hard drives, and laptops (because all you can do is " Scroll Down to eternity " and also if using Alley - you need to load the files ...and the Icons on Resolume are very small.)

"Resolume Developers : May I suggest this solution : when we pop-out the " File Panel ..make the thumbnails appear " side by side " so as it stretches we see more and more thumbnails horizontal and vertical like it does on finder and simultaneously upon stretching the panel the thumbnails can be resized !
( if you get this accomplished you can name it after me 8-) and if we can have this Incredibly Important feature on the next update ...you'll be all of our Heroes !
Best Wishes!
VJ Psyberpixie"
🌟Keep It Lucid🌟

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: DXV Preview's on Finder Mac " When ? "

Post by Arvol »

You need to ask apple about this, the ball is in there court.
Last edited by Arvol on Tue Aug 02, 2022 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

VJ Psyberpixie

Post by VJ Psyberpixie »

if you read my suggestion - it's actually for Resolume's Team, to see if they can figure out how to modify the " File Panel " so that the Thumbnails are side by side ( so we can see more at a glance- not just in 'scrolling' column view. (for example, if you stretch the file panel then you see more files per column)

Still don't understand how other VJ's are just accepting to scroll up and down to preview, hundreds or thousands of files.

surely this is possible ! just need some super-human brain to make this happen on the next update !
🌟Keep It Lucid🌟

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Yes i like the idea of improving the File panel, especially now that you can undock the panels and use more screen space. More layout options for the File Panel would indeed be a nice improvement.
So yes +1.
Regarding the Finder previews, a long time ago DXV was just a QuickTime codec. So preview and thumbnails just worked. Later on Apple dropped Quicktime support and we implemented a QuickLook plug-in which at least allowed the user to see the thumbnails again.
Apple later on again made some changes which prevented our QuickLook plug-in from working.

So at the moment DXV thumbnails do not work anymore and it is impossible to fix this from our side.

The only solution would be to introduce a new extension, so instead of using .mov we could start using .dxv and this way we'll be able to bring thumbnails back again.
But that is quite a drastic change as you can imagine.

VJ Psyberpixie

Post by VJ Psyberpixie »

Thanks for the detailed response Edwin! I still have faith that your team will bring an internal solution through Resolume before MAC or other 3rd parties. Since the Preview Panel already sees DXV Thumbnails, it's just a matter of time to take it to next level and have it stretch and show multiple files. I will try to poke around online and ask other software tech friends on possibilities and ideas. Is there an email I may have to connect further with your team in case I get coding tips, etc ? or is this the best way through the forum ?

Have a super weekend!
PiXie
🌟Keep It Lucid🌟

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Since we can't have a thumbnail preview on any app except resolume, I'm just moving out from DXV.
I'm transcoding all my footage to ProRes. It takes some time, and don't know if playing it on arena have the goods of hardware acceleration. But I just can't browse clips with the files panel, is slower than try out one by one from finder. If you go around by several gigs/events, you need a persistent thumbnail caché, taggin system, exclusive search routine, thumb SIZE... Adobe Bridge was ok for some time, but actual adobe dxv plugins seems to not work anymore on it. :(

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Bringing back here (things use to take some time on me :roll: ).

This little app restore the dxv thumbnails on modern osx.
https://github.com/Marginal/QLVideo#readme

tijnisfijn
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by tijnisfijn »

Whoow thats great..... Thank you so much it's still no video preview but at least you get a thumbnail again! Super nice......

fhughes
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by fhughes »

Agreed! Resolume should look into making the file panel more user friendly, especially when it comes to previewing files off-screen. It's ridiculous that we have to manually load each file every time we want to see its thumbnail.

fhughes
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by fhughes »

Wow ! I had no idea about the history behind DXV or Quicktime - that's interesting.
I hope Resolume can find a solution or work around to this issue soon. It would be a real shame if we couldn't preview DXV files on MAC Finder again.
Thanks for the update !