Big problem with Avenue

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
placido
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Big problem with Avenue

Post by placido »

Hello:

We had a new presentation at a convention last Friday night. I've never had any problems like this one, so it was a very educational experience. I saved my composition (3 layers with 16 columns - full videos - 3 projectors) Thursday night at the hotel room getting it ready for the show. Two hours before showtime I tested the sound/video with the rented speakers. Everything was working perfectly (Mac, Projectors, cables, screens, props, etc.) and I clicked the "Avenue" icon. Well, here is when everything began to get problematic because the program came on but it froze. The program can not be clicked anywhere, it remained thinking with the little multicolor Mac mouse wheel turning aimlessly. I had to uninstalled the software in the convention, everybody running up & down (now what?), finally I downloaded it from your website (several times). Installed and registered Avenue two more times because it went back to the same position, looking for the composition.
The Composition is in the desktop! (erased all the folders in the MAC after uninstalling the last time to get a clean install). Then, I had to put together a brand new composition (3 layers/16 columns). Everything worked, some errors occurred during the performance (stress related, doubled copy a file). Today, I just clicked Avenue software to check and it went back to the freezing Menace Situation.

Equipment: Apple Pro MAC (2019) - OS: Monterey Version 12.4 - Memory 16GB/2.6 GHz 6 Core Intel Core i7 - Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB --- AVENUE (newest update installed).

Please, Help!

Thanks;

Ino Fdez.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Big problem with Avenue

Post by Zoltán »

The freezing part could be lots of Mp4 files with Monterey, we're looking into what changed in OSX which might be causing that.
Using DXV will fix that.

Or files synced to the cloud trying to load could appear like Resolume hanging when opening, where it's just waiting for the files getting synced to the disk, so they can be read.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

placido

Post by placido »

Thank You!

placido

Post by placido »

Hello:

I began testing how many MP4s can be handled by Avenue in my system (Mac Pro Laptop 2019) using three layers. The trick, so far, is in the number of columns used before the software freezes (death). First, I want you to know that if I insert all the MP4s five minutes before showtime everything works. The problem is when I save the composition and try to open it later. After the 9th column the situation begins. You said that the OS Monte Rey might be the problem, I understand, but this caused problems in the performance. Subsequently, leaving bad reviews for us. The files used in Avenue were located on the desktop of the laptop.

I was experimenting with DXV and in "normal" mode it gets an MP4 file of 200MB and transform it into a 1.6GB file. I read in one of the explanations found in the Forum that the quality is better, I understand. I've worked with HD QuickTime files before. But 50 videos at 1.6GB will be a ton of bytes and it may tank the software or the computer. Can I download a previous version that works good with MP4s? Do you know when can we have an Avenue update solving the issue?

I see that the term "heard about Resolume in a bar" is used to describe me (meaning newcomer or Does it means that I don't know about the Resolume World?). This term used about the bar and Resolume is not good for the unity of people using the software. It separates me from all of you, I prefer newcomer.

Thanks;

Ino

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

It's the OS, older Resolume versions won't help unfortunately, but if you can revert your OSX to something below Monterey, that should solve the issue.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by resolumejunkie »

Just curious.. if you run the Ben Software Video Codec Test https://www.bensoftware.com/videocodectest/on your 2019 MacBook Pro, what are the results of the Decode H.265 2K test? As a frame-of-reference, my 2021 M1 Pro MacBook Pro can decode 2372 fps when the internal hardware encoder box is checked.
HEVCtest.jpg

placido

Post by placido »

HI: Thank you for helping! Here's what you asked for, please explain the situation looking it through the results.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 10.51.05 AM.png

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by resolumejunkie »

placido wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 15:55 HI: Thank you for helping! Here's what you asked for, please explain the situation looking it through the results.
Thanks for sharing! I really asked for my own curiosity, because I found out about that Video Codec Test app after I sold my Intel MacBook a while ago. So, looks like, at ~600fps, you should be safely good for up to (10) 1080p60 .MP4’s. So, if you’re experiencing performance issues, you know it’s not related to the mp4 decoding capacity, so long as you’re below the threshold of ~600fps aggregate across all the video clips.

Zoltan’s suggestion sounded wise: revert back to macOS Big Sur, if you can. Might be tricky, though.

placido

Post by placido »

Thank You!

gavostar

Post by gavostar »

Hey, just to let you know guys. I started using Resolume Arena about half a year back. To this day I had absolutely no trouble with Arena lagging, crashing or freezing. About a week back my main arena project started randomly freezing. I have m1 mac mini 2020 (from the day I bought it, it always ran on Mac os monterey).. now i started to add quite a lot of videos to my compositions single deck.. before that I used to have like 50 decks with 10-15 files on there. I tried to change the files codec from h.264 to dxv3 it helped (after changing the codec.. arena now chrashes - if 50 dxv3 clips -> freezes after 1 hour, if 100dxv3 clips - freezes -> freezes after 20 minutes, if the files are on h.264 it freezes right after arena launches) any suggestions?

Specs
Chip
Apple M1 8-core
SSD
256 GB
Ram
16 GB
Os
macOS Monterey