VJcontroller

Bro, does your rig even lift?

What protocol should VJcontroller talk to Resolume?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 01, 2022 04:06

MIDI
25%
OSC
50%
DMX over ArtNet
No votes
Webserver commands
No votes
Some of above
25%
All of above
No votes
Something different
No votes

Total votes: 4

jim
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

VJcontroller

Post by jim »

Hi,

I'm Jim, I've been working on designing a VJ controller, I have domains for the name: VJcontroller

I need/want to set up a blog somewhere to talk about process. I thought just as a topic on here might be the easiest. It is a pretty Resolume-centric design.

One of the main ideas is around grouping of controls that visually mirror the grouping of parameter control on screen, that is common to Layers, groups,ect

I have been reseching switches (ie keys and buttons) and their differences in behaviour ect.

Anyhow I am designing the unit to use mechanical keyboard standard "Cherry MX" key switches, which can range in price and function from $0.05 - $50 a switch. Using this standard means that that VJ can easily refine control if they want to.

At this point I think I will offer option have assembled with switches or without switches, but I'm just focusing on prototype at the moment.

My current dimensions fits over my 13" macbook pro, so idea is that unit sits over laptop keyboard and mouse. So you have your VJ controls right in the place of laptop controls, With using a mouse. For an organised show wouldn't need mouse so much.

Electronics:
I want it to talk all signals A VJ or show controller could need.

Sound:
Have some adrino boards and waiting for 1st custom board, I have space to add audio board. Disscussing with sound engineer friends about what specs/format for digital and analogue audio In and out, from the electronics stand point adding sound doesn't add that much more but cost might come in with parts.

Artnet:
There are a bunch of "show light monitors" can't think of a better name, bit you can send colour from Resolume but also can be set to a Lighting Desiners Fixture colours.
I want to use RGBAW+UV LEDs but for prototype I might just do RBG. I am going to address them as HSB (Hue Satuation Brightness).

Signel into resolume Midi/osc/webserver/Artnet?

Now here is a question, which way do you think it should talk to Resolume?
There is not just Dummy signals, there is some Code for some of the functionally, don't want to talk about till finished. I think using the resolume webserver and send commands via that could be a really good option, so that it can be plug and play if wanted. I think maybe should include all of them, so can keep the stock mebsersver setup and add custom OSC mapping... don't know any ideas?

I will definitely clock the speed differences between protocols but I would also be interested in what people think.

Anyhow, I'm going to make this post my place for talking about VJcontroller design, so follow if you are interested and hide it if you don't. I don't want to try and shove my device down people's throats. I am 50/50 about weather or not I make final design open source or make a product, I need to get further along.

So please post any ideas questions or want,

Jim

jim

Re: VJcontroller

Post by jim »

So I have redirected VJcontroller domains to this post for now in its early stages. One I have prototype built I'll get .org up for blog and even community if it gets there.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220819-142131_Chrome.png

jim

Post by jim »

I thought I should share a photo and I thought this fail from 3D printing the other day. I thought a failure is the best place to start a blog about Research, development and testing.

jim

Post by jim »

I posted this colour breakdown in general forum other day, before I thought about creating a forum topic on the VJcontroller.

I am in the middle of designing a custom controller for resolume, called VJcontroller. I am designing a system of clip on keycaps that are colour matched to Resolume's Labels. So I Needed to work out all the colour values for the label colours.

There are a few different ways to get custom colours,
I think at the moment I'm looking at 12 (layer\group\composition) control clusters. If I get enough interest I'll be able to get them mass produced, but for prototypes just 3D printing.

I am building this prototype to build as my controller, as I am still an active VJ around Sydney, Australia. But I just had a shoulder reconstruction and for next three months my arm needs to be in sling. And I'm going to use this time to focus in on VJcontroller.

Next post I'll post the electronics symbols I have found and of them I have had to make for all the components I'm currently using.

I have taken a break from that 2D component layout design for now as I start 3d body design. I learnt Maya in my masters, way back, so I need to test 3d design software options for printing.
Deeper discussion on
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg1NTwKBqy- ... MyMTA2M2Y=

I started with Blender, here are some keycaps I designed, I went from Blender to Pursa Slicer. The prints failed and I kept having these warnings about level, I finally worked out that one of the feet had slipped backwards, fixed now and should be fine, then I'll be able to tell if the model is just a fail.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChBm1zRB ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Last day or so started with fusion360, designed basic controller body, with filleted edges, so not just a square box.

I need to test the printing again from Blender, because I find the interface easier from a laptop without a mouse. Also I can use it for 3d content creation. So preference is Blender if can get that printing workflow through Pursa Slicer working cleanly to result in prints.

VJcontroller colour guide.png

Grey
4e4e4d
R 78 H 59° C 65%
G 78 S 1% M 57%
B 77 B 30% Y 58%
K 36%

Orange
b65e41
R 183 H 14° C 22%
G 95 S 64% M 72%
B 65 B 71% Y 80%
K 9%

Green
8baf4a
R 139 H 80° C 51%
G 175 S 58% M 14%
B 73 B 68% Y 92%
K 1%

Aqua
4faf88
R 77 H 155° C 69%
G 175 S 55% M 8%
B 136 B 68% Y 60%
K 0%

Blue
3375aa
R 53 H 206° C 82%
G 117 S 68% M 50%
B 170 B 66% Y 12%
K 0%

Pink
b23592
R 178 H 314° C 31%
G 54 S 69% M 93%
B 146 B 69% Y 1%
K 0%

jim

Post by jim »

So resin printing is the best way to print finer details and can also print CMKY coloured resin. I think I am going to get a mars 3 printer to do that. I want to at least test if matching up the colours with the screen colours does help,

The alternative might just be using LEDs in switches.

I want to try a hard plastic cap cover first.

jim

Post by jim »

So I ordered some reels of "nylon" filament to try and dye.
I have a good working Relegendable Key model. So I might just see if I can get small batch printed of the different coloured keycap covers , from an online mob.

jim

Post by jim »

Talking out use case with a colleague, has helped me decide that I'm going to use the Webserver controls and also OSC mappable, as I think having an Ethernet link makes it easier for touring.

jim

Post by jim »

Having done some testing and comparison of cherry mx switches, I didn't really find the differences switch response great enough to justify the costs involved in using them.

But I got a sample of these 6-way switches which feel like they are going to be perfect for opacity control.

I need to design appropriate head for them.

With the colour labelling of the keys, I have landed on an better solution I think. I want to do a bit more testing before lock it in.

My FDM printer head it clogged after Failed print other day, because one of my arms is immobilised for at least next 2 months, As it is too hard to disassemble print head with one arm putting aside and family brought me a resin printer for birthday, which I think with finer detail will be better for designing buttons and knobs
Attachments
Screenshot_20220908-132440_AliExpress.png

jim

Post by jim »

At workshop where I have a stuck of different parts and components to test, from china and Germany.
Attachments
20220908_152502.jpg

jim

Post by jim »

So I had an OT over a few weeks ago to have a look at what could we do to make a workspace that I would be able to use and not have a time limit of about 3 hours.
The reason why is that pain gets too much sitting down that long.

Anyhow working with builder going to build a triangular frame, with VESV monitor arms from side and pantographs from above. So that I can work in a fully reclined position.
Attachments
My workspace is coming g together. Resin printer just arrived and I have gotten all of my electronics stuff from all over the place and brought containers to organise.
My workspace is coming g together. Resin printer just arrived and I have gotten all of my electronics stuff from all over the place and brought containers to organise.
All the different things, diaplines and industries you need to cover when designing a controller.
All the different things, diaplines and industries you need to cover when designing a controller.