Resolume Arena - AJA HA5 - 4K HDMI to 4K SDI // HOW TO

Bro, does your rig even lift?
a-li-ce
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Resolume Arena - AJA HA5 - 4K HDMI to 4K SDI // HOW TO

Post by a-li-ce »

Hello all
I have found a few threads regarding the using of the AJA HA5-4K with Resolume Arena on the forum, but not enough to not open a new thread ;) so here it is.
I have a gig soon, and the video set up uses a full pixel size of 16952.1080, divided into 4 Projection areas (2*5424.1080 and 2*3052.1080).
The tech company suggested me to use 4 AJA HA5-4K, connected to a gaming computer which can provide 3 UHD outputs (the computer has a NVidia GTX1080).
"Problem is" that I won't be able to run some tests before the event, meaning connecting these devices to the computer before the actual gig. So here comes my question: is there any issue between Resolume and this device? How does it look into the Resolume outputs interface? Is there any recommendation I have to pay attention to?
Thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Resolume Arena - AJA HA5 - 4K HDMI to 4K SDI // HOW TO

Post by Zoltán »

This seems to be a hdmi to sdi converter. If you can send a format it accepts, then I wouldn't expect any issues with the converter itself.

A 1080 won't have 4x HDMI outputs though, so you'd need some displayport to HDMI converters too.

Frame sync between the outputs might be an issue.

Here we have some other options which might work too: https://resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15035

Is this a LED wall you'll be playing on? 2*3052.1080 sounds like an odd resolution for a projector.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

a-li-ce

Post by a-li-ce »

Thanks for your answer!

I work in collaboration with the tech company which provides the video set up.
Looks like Datapaths are nowhere to rent at the moment where I am, so they came out with this device.

I have to send them alll the 1920.1080 signals via the 3 devices, they are connected to their video system and they then do the blendings between them on the 4 projection surfaces.
To avoid sync issue, I could run on the project on 3 computers (each of them has then a device), so that should be fine. It is anyway a real prepared gig so I will organize the workflow and the project on Resolume in a way that I make the live action easy for me

About the video resolution / pixel size:
These are video projections, not LED Walls.
The video resolutions I have written are the workflow ones for the visual production: for example 3052.1080 means 2*1920, including 788 pix of blending between both. So I send them 2*1920 and they blend them to produce 3052.1080.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Ah, so you'll be using them to split the 4k into 1080 SDI streams.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

a-li-ce

Post by a-li-ce »

yes ;)
will make a report after the gig for other Resolume users.

a-li-ce

Post by a-li-ce »

Hello all
Small report: the AJA devices work good and smooth with Resolume Arena.
The tech company advised me to create and run the visuals with a 50 framerate and to set up the AJA devices on 50 Hz (there is a mini programm you can run with the devices, allowing to create presets).
Nothing to compain about, can only recommend.
NB: I ran the gig on a desktop gaming PC using the graphic card Nividia RTX 3080 - back up on my laptop using the graphic card NVidia Geforce GT 970M - both ran smooth.
The device was also used on a recent Mac by another VJ at the same time - do not know the tech specs, but this person had also no issue.