Basic automated setup help!

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
alexpiggy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Basic automated setup help!

Post by alexpiggy »

Sorry if this question is anoyingly simple, im brand new to resolume and im a bit lost..

Can anyone walk me through how i can setup a bunch of clips in a layer (say 5 clips at various langths) and have them play randomly all night?

Then is there a way to have the clips jump randomly between eachother say every 30 seconds (even if some clips are 1 hour long). Continuing this thought, can the random playing start at a random point in the longer clips, so it doesnt just play the first 30 seconds every time?

Finally could I have the clips not just switch every 30 seconds, but randomly choose a range from say 10 to 300 seconds?

The whole idea is for me to set up a range of different clips, hit go and then disappear to the dance floor for 6 hours whilst all this stuff just plays by itself.

Thanks for any help

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Basic automated setup help!

Post by Arvol »

The whole idea is for me to set up a range of different clips, hit go and then disappear to the dance floor for 6 hours whilst all this stuff just plays by itself.
Sounds like a DJ not a VJ lol

https://resolume.com/support/en/clips#auto-pilot
Auto Pilot is what you're after. If you want random parts of a clip to play but not for the same duration, copy that clips several times and adjust the start/end position of that clip.

Playing a premixed 2 hour Youtube VJ mix sounds like another solution for ya :)

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

Arvol wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 16:44

Sounds like a DJ not a VJ lol

https://resolume.com/support/en/clips#auto-pilot
Auto Pilot is what you're after. If you want random parts of a clip to play but not for the same duration, copy that clips several times and adjust the start/end position of that clip.

Playing a premixed 2 hour Youtube VJ mix sounds like another solution for ya :)
But then it wont be live :lol:
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

alexpiggy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by alexpiggy »

Hah! You've hit the nail on the head chaps :lol:

Im not purporting to be a live VJ here in this forum but I would love to see if I can leaverage this software to atleast make the visuals more fun (other than simply playing a compilation mix from youtube).

Thanks for the tip on Autopilot, interesting stuff. It doesn't seem to be able to automatically jump to random sections of a 1 hour clip though, unless Im mistaken? Looks like I may have to break up the long clips into lots of shorter ones for this to work the way I want...

Final ask is about automatically firing off the random clips to a beat. Do I need seperate hardware for this or is it built into the software. Im hoping it can pick up the BPM of whats currently playing from the DJ and automatically fire off a new clip when the beat hits a peak or every 16 or 32 bars say? I'm guessing it would need a mic input at the very least in order to do this? Basically i'd love it if it switched from say a clip of some dudes dancing to a clip of crazy mograph at the point the base drops back in, all this whilst im happily 10 feet away throwing shapes.

Sorry again if this is all a bit simplistic, and I do realise im kinda shitting on an art form here... sorry for that also ;)

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

The Random Playmode in combination with the BPM play tempo is also a nice place to look into... maybe on very slow it will satisfy your needs ;)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~