AMD Vs Intel proccesors

Bro, does your rig even lift?
jose
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

AMD Vs Intel proccesors

Post by jose »

Hi,

we are building a simple media server for a use in a theater. only one output and simple media playback, but we would like to have a machine that could handle more stuff in a future. Not a high range media server.

The main specs of the system would be a rtx a2000 with 6gb (we have seen that AMD has a lower performance with resolume, we looked at the radeon pro w5500 at a beggining), 32gb ram , ssd nmve ...the question is about proccesors. With AMD we can find higher GHz and more cores with less price. Is this OK for resolume? I know is not too much price (200€ aprox) but fir this case the company is making a hard investment for them.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: AMD Vs Intel proccesors

Post by Zoltán »

I'd go nvidia,

CPU with higher clock and more cores at a better price, that sounds great. Shouldn't really matter if you're using Intel or AMD.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

For GPU go nVidia. Keep in mind compute cards are about half the erformance as gaming cards so if you want an 8GB gaming card performance with an Quadro series, you will need a 16GB compute card.
I wouldn't go lower than an A4000 IMO, 5000/6000 is what I use on my larger shows.

In terms of CPU get whatever is cheaper and has the amount of PCIe lanes you need. Resolume is GPU based os unless you plan on i_o a lot of NDI (CPU based) the CPU isn't that important. faster base clock speed vs more core count is my rule of thumb.

Intange
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Intange »

Arvol wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 02:15 For GPU go nVidia. Keep in mind compute cards are about half the erformance as gaming cards so if you want an 8GB gaming card performance with an Quadro series, you will need a 16GB compute card.
I wouldn't go lower than an A4000 IMO, 5000/6000 is what I use on my larger shows.

In terms of CPU get whatever is cheaper and has the amount of PCIe lanes you need. Resolume is GPU based os unless you plan on i_o a lot of NDI (CPU based) the CPU isn't that important. faster base clock speed vs more core count is my rule of thumb.
Hey Arvol,

Im looking to upgrade my servers including graphic cards from Quadro RTX 5000 to the Quadro A6000. At this moment would you go AMD or Intel?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Shouldn't matter, it's all about the PCIe Lanes and single core clock speed. Get what ever fits your budget and makes sense for the build. I've had good luck with both.