Running DXV files in Arena: Capture Card less performative than Graphics Card

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
starphan
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Running DXV files in Arena: Capture Card less performative than Graphics Card

Post by starphan »

Hello,

I'm playing two videos in Arena 7.13.2. Both are DXV 3.0 High Quality No Alpha. One of them is 720p and the other is 2160p. Monitors are set to the respective resolution @ 59fps

When outputting the images to two monitors via the Nvidia RTX 2080 SUPER / 8GB graphics card's HDMI and DP outputs, the output is smooth and Arena's fps monitor shows very little variance .

But when outputting via the BlackMagic Decklink 8k Pro capture card (black magic sdi12g->hdmi bidirectional converter to get to the monitor), the fps monitor's value becomes unstable, sinking often to 51-54fps, or even below 50 on occasion. The video is noticeably less smooth.

Does anyone know why?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Running DXV files in Arena: Capture Card less performative than Graphics Card

Post by Arvol »

My $$ is on BMD drivers. I worked a 24 hour live stream in 2020 and it took me no LESS than 3 hours to find the right pairing of BMD drivers to get the dang things to work. You might download about 10 different flavors of BMD drivers and see if there's any performance change amoung them.
On the flip side, AJA Corvid-88 cards are bulletproof (and frame sync'd!) but also a little more $$

starphan

Re: Running DXV files in Arena: Capture Card less performative than Graphics Card

Post by starphan »

Arvol wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 16:39 My $$ is on BMD drivers. I worked a 24 hour live stream in 2020 and it took me no LESS than 3 hours to find the right pairing of BMD drivers to get the dang things to work. You might download about 10 different flavors of BMD drivers and see if there's any performance change amoung them.
On the flip side, AJA Corvid-88 cards are bulletproof (and frame sync'd!) but also a little more $$
Thank you for your reply. Note that I tested the Decklink 8k Pro output from TouchDesigner, another software, with no frame drop problems whatsoever (notchLC format, since TouchDesigner can't playback DXV). So is it possibly a compatibility issue between my BMD driver and Arena?

Where would I download these 10 flavors of driver? Are they all available on the BlackMagic website?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

yeah, on their website

starphan

Post by starphan »

Arvol wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 17:25 yeah, on their website
Hey, sorry, I don't see a section on the BlackMagic website for drivers and looking up info on it just gives instructions on how to install Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup, which is the only driver-like thing I'd ever installed to begin with.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

starphan

Post by starphan »

Hey, I typed Decklink 8k in the 'search by model' bar, which seems to narrow down the displayed items. But, as you can see below, instead of '10 different flavors' of drivers, I only see older and newer versions of the same "Desktop Video" software. Are the older and newer versions of this the 'flavors' you've referred to?

edit: looks like the image doesn't load properly here: https://tinypic.host/i/deckling8ksupportsearch.qx08g

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

yup thats it. you can search by revision or date while scrolling down. I would download 15 and waste an afternoon finding the right combo.