OSC in Wire to trigger layer transition durations or styles

Post your awesome Wire patches here, share tutorials
vj.emtv
Is taking Resolume on a second date

OSC in Wire to trigger layer transition durations or styles

Post by vj.emtv »

Hi all,
I'm trying to create my first Wire patch in order to change layer transitions duration and/or blendmode depending on the column currently playing.
It works fine when I use the mouse to click on the column name, but not when I use the "connect next button" shortcut, which I assigned to a specific key on my keyboard.

From what I read in the OSC shortcuts support section, I guess I can achieve this by having Wire "ask" Resolume which column is currently selected, but I can't figure out how to.

If anyone can help, I'd be more than thankful !!

Best,
eM

tijnisfijn
Team Resolume

Re: OSC in Wire to trigger layer transition durations or styles

Post by tijnisfijn »

Hi, this is unfortunately not possible without a extra piece of software that can function as a bridge. Wire an arena can talk to each other through OSC, but a wire patch can't communicate to arena because they use the same OSC in and output (from Arena).

producation
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by producation »

I would suggest using Chataigne for those special OSC mappings / translations.

https://benjamin.kuperberg.fr/chataigne/en

vj.emtv
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by vj.emtv »

Hi again and thanks for reading me.
tijnisfijn wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 22:24 Hi, this is unfortunately not possible without a extra piece of software that can function as a bridge. Wire an arena can talk to each other through OSC, but a wire patch can't communicate to arena because they use the same OSC in and output (from Arena).
Actually, Wire can act as an OSC bridge, since I changed its OSC Input and Output ports.
I set Wire OSC Input on 7001 and Output on 7000, and kept Resolume OSC Input on 7000 and Output on 7001. (Is it good practice ? I don't know, but it works fine.)
producation wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 02:35 I would suggest using Chataigne for those special OSC mappings / translations.
I looked into Chataigne before turning to Wire (as I read several other posts mentioning it), but it's too much of a hassle for me right now to get into it properly, since I really just need this OSC bridge thing.

What I'm looking for is not which software to use (if Wire isn't good practice, I'd turn to Isadora that I already know quite well), but how to get the "column selected" ID to be passed on to whichever software I'm using.

Here's an example taken from my Wire patch :

OSC IN > READ OSC /composition/columns/X/connect > WRITE OSC /composition/layers/Y/transition/duration (param float 0.5) > OSC OUT

As I said, this works fine if I click with the mouse on the column header to select it.

I'd like it to work just as fine when hitting the "select next column" button, which I believe I can achieve by polling the selected column :

OSC IN > READ OSC /composition/connectnextcolumn > WRITE OSC /composition/columns/*/selected "?" > OSC OUT

as Zoltàn stated on some other topic in the forum, "This will return an int 1 for the column which is selected and int 0 for all the others." So I was thinking of adding some IF LOGIC like

OSC IN > IF READ OSC /composition/columns/X/connect = TRUE > WRITE OSC /composition/layers/Y/transition/duration (param float 0.5)

... ?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

How about sending the column trigger from the Wire patch, then you'd know exactly which column is playing.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

cat
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by cat »

I just tried this yesterday, I was using vvvv to sequence clips, and it was great fun, today I thought I'd try in wire, it would make a lot of sense for wire plugin to be able to talk to resolume.
Wire talks when the patch is run separately in the editor, but if exported as a fx or source, it doesn't.
But if you think about it, being able to trigger a clip, and then a small sequencer as a wire plugin attached to the clip, triggers follow on cue(s) would be extremely useful in many situations, and save having to run other apps in the background.
VDMX has sequencing built in, and its awesome, I'd really like this to happen!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

cat wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 14:24 it would make a lot of sense for wire plugin to be able to talk to resolume.
Indeed, we have some plans on this.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Global Shortcuts +1