DMX Deck Selection Issue

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Post Reply
sternbz
Met Resolume in a bar the other day
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2021 20:30

DMX Deck Selection Issue

Post by sternbz »

Hey y'all,

I've got a Resolume file with a deck-per-song type setup being driven by an MA2. The issue I'm encountering is that the values are yielding inconsistant solutions via the Deck Slection mapping. For instance output 14.1 on the desk should load Deck 37.... but sometimes it will load Deck 35..... Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a cleaner way of attacking this?

Zoltán
Team Resolume
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 13:08
Location: Székesfehérvár, Hungary

Re: DMX Deck Selection Issue

Post by Zoltán »

What's 14.1?
percentage or a scene number?

Which button did you map it to in Resolume?
Theatre sound engineer, photographer, programmer, aka ravensc.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu
VJ footage: https://goo.gl/58oHy7

sternbz
Met Resolume in a bar the other day
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2021 20:30

Re: DMX Deck Selection Issue

Post by sternbz »

14.1 is just an example, but is the value out of 100 being send from the MA2. Therefore, it would be converting to value 36 of 255 (or Deck 37 counting "0" as Deck 1). This is mapped to the "Composition Selectspecificdeck" value.

Like I mentioned in my original post, sometimes it selects Deck 37 (in our example number here) sometimes it selects Deck 35. What baffles me is that it's not a matter of a rounding error sending the incorrect value of 255 -- then it would only be one deck off, not two decks off. The other is the inconsistency it is occurring. I can trigger the change a million times but 40% of the time the wrong deck will be selected, the other 60% the correct deck will be selected.

User avatar
Arvol
Knows Resolume better than the devs
Posts: 1816
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 17:36
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: DMX Deck Selection Issue

Post by Arvol »

#1 make sure your encoders are working in Ultra mode. Yeah, there should be a range of at least 0.0-0.004 between each column value, so it's a little bit of experimenting as your column count will drive how the DMX input behaves. so when I'm setting up my control for a show I'll see what values trigger columns, and it's usually a range of 0.0-0.004, so if your value starts at 14.4 (example) that column will trigger when 14.4-14.404 is selected, so rather than picking a number on the edge of those values I split the difference and would send a value of 14.402

I have found that the column change in values of .004
so for starters it would look something like this:
Column1 = .004
Column2 = .008
Column3 = .012
Column4 = .016
Column5 = .02
Column6 = .024
Column7 = .028
Column8 = .032
Column9 = .036
Column10 = .04
etc. etc.

so on and so on, this has worked well for me in the past, it might help you out now?

Zoltán
Team Resolume
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 13:08
Location: Székesfehérvár, Hungary

Re: DMX Deck Selection Issue

Post by Zoltán »

Do you have any fade on the channel value you send?
Is there a pattern when one of the decks is selected, like going from a higher channel value to low, vs going from lower to higher?
Theatre sound engineer, photographer, programmer, aka ravensc.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu
VJ footage: https://goo.gl/58oHy7

Post Reply