12 Video Outs for 360 Display - Suggestions?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: 12 Video Outs for 360 Display - Suggestions?

Post by Oaktown »

I mean M.2 SSD as main boot drive.

If you have an M.2 socket on your MB, I recommend the SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 .

If you don't have an M.2 socket, I recommend the OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 PCIe SSD on a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot or better.

Then get yourself a Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD installed on a SATA III (revision 3.x) (used to be known as SATA 6Gb) and you'll be set for speed

lightbx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by lightbx »

Very interesting, we have almost that setup exactly that we are preparing for a new machine. Only we will be using a 256GB ATI Radeon R7 as boot disk and Samsung SM951 480GB M.2 SSD for media What is the major advantage to booting from the M.2? From what I can read it can be very tricky, booting in UEFI mode, and while our MB supports the M.2 SSD I am not sure about supporting boot. Here is the setup:

MB: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz with 4.00 GHz Turbo Boost (runs around 3.9)
Boot SSD: ATI Radeon R7 256GB SATA III SSD
Media SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD
Storage: 7200RPM HDD
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce Titan X
RAM: 8GB DDR4
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2

Oaktown, your experience and sage advice is always appreciated!
Last edited by lightbx on Thu Feb 18, 2016 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I use an OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 PCIe SSD as a boot drive on my main server (no M.2 socket on the MB) and I have absolutely no issues. The best part about it is that it's super fast!

If you are worried about failure, use AOMEI Backupper to clone the boot-up drive and have a backup just in case.

I would personally do the following modifications to your setup:
  • M.2 as boot drive
    get 2 or 3 more ATI Radeon R7 256GB and set them in RAID 0
    get a Pro SSD as a clone to your M.2 drive for emergencies
    get at least 16GB of RAM especially if you use any other software (Adobe AE, Photoshop, etc...) on the server but RAM is cheap and your setup is an expensive one so I would get 48GB or 64GB o
r more....

lightbx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by lightbx »

Thanks so much for this!

We will look into this. We are actually setting this up so that this is a media server that doesn't run anything but Resolume. It will also have Matrox Powerdesk and Canon Networked Media Projector software. (I know you're a Datapath guy...) Trying to figure out if I can get it on the LAN but not connected to Internet (or maybe just get all employees to exercise extreme restraint and caution). But yeah the point is this will be a Resolume-dedicated machine for an event space.

Honestly not even sure if I want to put Processing/Spout on the comp, but maybe, if we invest in RAM down the line. Forgot to mention we are installing 2x Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K and 1x SoundBlaster-Z. All I know is we're basically hitting budget and aside from the Titan X and M.2 everything else is coming from older machines.

Now is the time we are migrating (tomorrow specifically), but those who will be using this machine the most are hesitant about setting the M.2 as the boot disk. Also it has twice (or 4x) the space we would need for a Resolume-only boot disk (my oversight, admitted).

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It will also have Matrox Powerdesk and Canon Networked Media Projector software. (I know you're a Datapath guy...)
:D Guilty as charged but I'm using HDBaseT more and more. Actually the last installation I designed was all HDBaseT with an Atlona switcher but it's hard to beat the X4 for flexibility. I just can't wait for them to release their DisplayPort model that'll have a pass through.

Regarding your M.2 drive, I pretty much use mine as a system drive and run most shows with the media on it (it's 256GB and I rarely use the media drive for anything besides the occasional huge DXV3 movies in HQ with Alpha.

emulsion
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by emulsion »

lightbx wrote:
Oaktown wrote:If you want 12 stable HD outputs, get a Nvidia GTX 980ti or Titan Z, three Datapath X4 video processor,and M.2 SSD.
Oaktown, when you mention M.2 SSD here, do you mean for OS/boot/Resolume or for media storage?

Nvidia quadro NVS with 8 output can not work with Nvidia geforce........