50%
Who is using MIDI anyway
No votes

Total votes: 2

AcdNrg
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Support for Multiport MIDI Interfaces

Post by AcdNrg »

Please add meaningful support for multiport devices that have more than a single MIDI in/out.

For example, my MIDI interface offers 8 ports and looks like this:
Wire MIDI prefs.jpg
Every MIDI event I create in Wire is sent out to all active ports. Here is a single event, button clicked once:
wire midi monitor.jpg
What is needed is an option to specify which port data is being sent out instead of "full broadcast". Ideally, the MIDI out module would offer a dropdown of multiple ports/interfaces data is being sent to. That way, some data could be sent to MIDI receiver A, while other data is sent to receiver B - and all that in the same patch. Or port selection could be added to the different MIDI modules, so we specify "type-data-channel-port" instead of just the first three.

Likewise, from what I see it´s impossible (within patch) to discriminate by incoming MIDI port. Every event on, say, port 1 is seen as "just incoming" not "incoming on port x". That way, Wire operates as an (unwanted) MIDI merger, which is tricky with multiple controllers.

AcdNrg

Re: Support for Multiport MIDI Interfaces

Post by AcdNrg »

And while we´re at it: Please add scrolling in the MIDI preferences. Folding/unfolding just to navigate your device list... that´s GUI design with room for improvement ;)

Or maybe just allow the Preferences window to be resizable (if that´s just a property you can set the window to).

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Those are the names coming from the hardware, so if you want better names, you might reach out to the hardware vendor. Try opening the devices in Chatiagne or Bomes and that should confirm that the computer see's the hardware names as a global name and not something a software chops up or something.

AcdNrg

Post by AcdNrg »

Better names?