cold spark machines

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Cooperry
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

cold spark machines

Post by Cooperry »

Have an interesting use case that I am trying to figure out. I know that Resolume will output DMX signals. Has anyone utilized this to send data to cold spark machines (Sparkular II)? I know that the lumiverse output it is meant for RGB Style led fixtures but I don't see why it also couldn't run these?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: cold spark machines

Post by Zoltán »

You can, but should you?
What if it gets knocked over?

phpBB [video]
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Those are just 2 channels 1 for the ignition and 1 for the blower, typically you would turn blower to 100% and then add in the ignition for the amount (99% of the time they both go to 100% together).

Wire would be best for this but you can easily do this in Arena/Avenue with 2 layers.

You need to (2) sources [layers, or a Wire fx] and you need to create a small white rectangle you can move to some dead space (or extend your comp and place them out of range of video output) and then map the luminosity of the white square to a DMX single channel fixture (you need 2) and then map that layer (or Wire fx opacity foreach square) to an external control or keyboard shortcut. Then when that layer or Wire fx is turned on, it sends out your dmx values to the cold sparks.

@Zoltan if they fall over no big deal, it's gravity fed so they would just stop working, hell.... I can barely get them to work when using them in normal operation mode, one vendor sent a rubber mallet (no joke) to hit the side with as the powder often gets stuck (had to do this for a NBA video shoot, looked very amatuer)
On a side note, I've put my face in the middle of the sparks just to prove a point. doesn't feel great but doesn't hurt at all (keep your eyes closed obviously). Equivalent of blasting sand at someone with a force of 4/10 at best.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Yeah, sand can't light stuff on fire, and while you might not feel it because your skin is hard to heat up being mostly water, other materials will catch fire.

I wouldn't put anything on DMX which can be a fire hazard, or moves people or moves stuff over/above people.
All great while it works, but if it goes wrong, it will go very wrong.

Found some papers from US cities, where these devices are illegal to own and operate, so also check with the local rules.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 19:00 Yeah, sand can't light stuff on fire, and while you might not feel it because your skin is hard to heat up being mostly water, other materials will catch fire.

I wouldn't put anything on DMX which can be a fire hazard, or moves people or moves stuff over/above people.
All great while it works, but if it goes wrong, it will go very wrong.

Found some papers from US cities, where these devices are illegal to own and operate, so also check with the local rules.
We tested them by putting paper, and eggshell foam in the sparks as well. No combustion no heat.
The US thing is a weird topic, Fire Marshalls want their $$ so certain cities/counties in the US will still require fire marshals to be involved even when they're not needed. A bunch of politics....

But I 100% agree, anything that can cause injury or death should not be controlled via an app that doesn't have specific safety protocols written in for them. I would never suggest Pyro, or even lasers be ran from any other software that doesn't have e-stops and at least 2 layers of safety built in.

Cooperry

Post by Cooperry »

The specific machines that I will be using have tip over protection that will shut the machine off if it goes past 45 degrees. There is also a DMX channel specifically for an emergency shut off that will be mapped to a shortcut on my device. I will also have the LOS remote that comes with the device with me during the show and the power connections will be at my feet and can be shut off immediately. I am a firm believer in 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Thank you for all of your suggestions and concern!

Cooperry

Post by Cooperry »

Just to let everyone know, I was able to make this work using a Chauvet DMX-AN 2. If anyone is interested in making this work let me know and I can make a short video on it.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

It's a 2 channel dmx fixture. Create 2 single channel fixture in Arena and add a white solid to 2 layers. Channel 1 is the fan, channel 2 is the spark amount. Map 1 solid color layer to 1 of the dmx fixtures and the second to the second fixture, move faders up and down to control. (or create a DMX wire patch and just use that (mine is a full universe of channels).