Arena causes Ableton to deactivate tempo automation

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
producation
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Arena causes Ableton to deactivate tempo automation

Post by producation »

I wanted to make a visualizer for a song which is hardly on time so in Ableton I automated the tempo lane to the beat of the song and synced it via Ableton Link to Arena. Unfortunatly the tempo automation of Ableton got deactivated during playback. The Ableton Link connection stays alive on both ends and as far as I can tell Arena does every tempo change flawlessly.

So I stress tested the connection with new clean projects on Ableton and Arena. When I have a constantly variable BPM which then stands still (even for a short amount of time like in the attached picture at 148.40 BPM) it deactivates the tempo automation in Ableton and holds the tempo. Whether it played from the beginning or a few seconds before the short static 148.40 BPM part. Funny enough when I start directly from the static part or shortly after it has no trouble getting through the part with the hard 287.70 to 43.80 BPM and again deactivates the automation at the static 120.00 BPM part. I also made that 148.40 BPM part slightly variable (instead of staying at 148.40 it goes up to 148.50 BPM) and it didn't deactivate the automation and ran smoothly till the 120 BPM static part came.

I also tried out several other apps like Logic (also on the same Macbook) and several iPad apps which had an implementation of Ableton Link but everything went smooth, even with 5 iPad apps and Logic running the same time in one Ableton Link session, so I guess the problem has to be in the Ableton Link implementation of Arena.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-19 um 15.00.44.png

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Arena causes Ableton to deactivate tempo automation

Post by Zoltán »

Interesting, not sure why Ableton would disable the automation.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu