Smart Gaussian

Post your awesome Wire patches here, share tutorials
Sjan Top
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Smart Gaussian

Post by Sjan Top »

Hey there,

i'm running Resolume on a old potato, so i like optimised effects.
So i thought up a way to render Gaussian blur with higher frame rates, just down sample the shit out of it :D .

I add two patches, the first one is simple (use and forget about it), but because texture the resize is calculated in attribute space, no animation/preview of the strength. The higher the blur the better the framerate

The second need a bit more input, you can select the render resolution of the Gaussian blur. With this one you always know the frame drop. And you can animate the strength, because its calculated in signal space.

Have fun!

* i don't know enough about the core of wire and resolume, but it would be really nice if idea would be build-in. Rendering at 1/8 saves the world of resources.
Attachments
Smart Gaussian.wire
(233.83 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Smart Gaussian (anime).wire
(233.26 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
#tweelicht_visuals

tijnisfijn
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Smart Gaussian

Post by tijnisfijn »

thx & cool.... really smart thinking.... "The higher the blur the better the framerate" . that's brilliant.... ;)

Sjan Top

Post by Sjan Top »

Thx!

i think its a technic they use with mip-map textures. So at first i just tried to downsample in Wire with the resize node. But the linear interpolation of the upsampling gives ugly results, but a bit of gaussian blur fixes that :).
#tweelicht_visuals

magneson

Post by magneson »

It is also the base of the original bloom effect. Downsample 8x/4x/2x/, blur and additive blend and it glows :D

Sjan Top

Post by Sjan Top »

I know :), just finished a update to the patch, Bloom and Highpass are both based on gassian, so i build them in to the patch. And added displacement for 'bokeh' like effect.

The highpass has a mask, so you can apply it to the grey pixels, this reduces clipping.
The same toggle reverse the mask of the bloom.
All effect that are not used get disabled, by 0 value or toggles
Attachments
Smart Gaussian 1.1.wire
(294.5 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
#tweelicht_visuals