OSC in Wire to trigger layer transition durations or styles

Post your awesome Wire patches here, share tutorials
vj.emtv
Is taking Resolume on a second date

OSC in Wire to trigger layer transition durations or styles

Post by vj.emtv »

Hi all,
I'm trying to create my first Wire patch in order to change layer transitions duration and/or blendmode depending on the column currently playing.
It works fine when I use the mouse to click on the column name, but not when I use the "connect next button" shortcut, which I assigned to a specific key on my keyboard.

From what I read in the OSC shortcuts support section, I guess I can achieve this by having Wire "ask" Resolume which column is currently selected, but I can't figure out how to.

If anyone can help, I'd be more than thankful !!

Best,
eM

tijnisfijn
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: OSC in Wire to trigger layer transition durations or styles

Post by tijnisfijn »

Hi, this is unfortunately not possible without a extra piece of software that can function as a bridge. Wire an arena can talk to each other through OSC, but a wire patch can't communicate to arena because they use the same OSC in and output (from Arena).

producation
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by producation »

I would suggest using Chataigne for those special OSC mappings / translations.

https://benjamin.kuperberg.fr/chataigne/en

vj.emtv
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by vj.emtv »

Hi again and thanks for reading me.
tijnisfijn wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 22:24 Hi, this is unfortunately not possible without a extra piece of software that can function as a bridge. Wire an arena can talk to each other through OSC, but a wire patch can't communicate to arena because they use the same OSC in and output (from Arena).
Actually, Wire can act as an OSC bridge, since I changed its OSC Input and Output ports.
I set Wire OSC Input on 7001 and Output on 7000, and kept Resolume OSC Input on 7000 and Output on 7001. (Is it good practice ? I don't know, but it works fine.)
producation wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 02:35 I would suggest using Chataigne for those special OSC mappings / translations.
I looked into Chataigne before turning to Wire (as I read several other posts mentioning it), but it's too much of a hassle for me right now to get into it properly, since I really just need this OSC bridge thing.

What I'm looking for is not which software to use (if Wire isn't good practice, I'd turn to Isadora that I already know quite well), but how to get the "column selected" ID to be passed on to whichever software I'm using.

Here's an example taken from my Wire patch :

OSC IN > READ OSC /composition/columns/X/connect > WRITE OSC /composition/layers/Y/transition/duration (param float 0.5) > OSC OUT

As I said, this works fine if I click with the mouse on the column header to select it.

I'd like it to work just as fine when hitting the "select next column" button, which I believe I can achieve by polling the selected column :

OSC IN > READ OSC /composition/connectnextcolumn > WRITE OSC /composition/columns/*/selected "?" > OSC OUT

as Zoltàn stated on some other topic in the forum, "This will return an int 1 for the column which is selected and int 0 for all the others." So I was thinking of adding some IF LOGIC like

OSC IN > IF READ OSC /composition/columns/X/connect = TRUE > WRITE OSC /composition/layers/Y/transition/duration (param float 0.5)

... ?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

How about sending the column trigger from the Wire patch, then you'd know exactly which column is playing.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu