My fix for screen setup crash in 2.x (Nod32 virus scanner seems to be a problem)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Jaymis
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

My fix for screen setup crash in 2.x (Nod32 virus scanner seems to be a problem)

Post by Jaymis »

Hi Guys, I've spent the last 6 hours trying to get to the bottom of this one. I've noticed that some other people were having similar problems: Everything works fine until you try to setup a second screen, as soon as you click the "apply" button after setting up the second screen output resolume crashes to the desktop.

Specs: IBM Thinkpad Centrino 1400. 512MB RAM. Radeon Mobility (not sure what flavour)
WindowsXP, SP1 and 2 (tried with both, same results)
Display drivers: Tried Omega drivers, Radeon default and latest IBM thinkpad drivers.
Using MJPEGs mostly, but the crash occurs whether there are clips loaded or not. If I do nothing but open resolume and then try to change the screen setup it crashes.

I've had it work a couple of times but if I then exit, restart resolume and try again it invariably crashes. 1.5 is working perfectly, but any 2.x release has the same kind of crash. Funnily enough the crash seems slightly different each time. Sometimes it crashes straight to desktop with no notification. Sometimes it has a winXP notification. Sometimes the screen flickers a bit before

The most frustrating thing is that I had 2.x working a couple of months ago, however I did a reformat recently and ever since I've been having problems.

I've been experimenting with loads of different things to try and find the cause of these crashes. Removing other codecs, disabling services, uninstalling programs which might conflict. After a million restarts I eventually decided to try stopping the virus scanner (I've changed from Norton to Nod32 on this reinstall as it takes up much less resources.)

Bingo. With all of the nod32 processes disabled through task manager Resolume 2.2 has been working every time. It still crashes on exit, but who cares about a crash on exit! As long as it doesn't take my midi assignments with it I'll be happy.

So, I know this doesn't necessarily help anyone else directly, but if you're experiencing crashes I'd suggest just killing unnecessary processes first before you start reformatting your machine.

Rock

Jaymis

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Doesn't work for me... Altought, I don't use norton, the problem is identical. Let's hope that this problem is solved in the next release. ;)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I've got the same problems...
I think the cause is the Radeon....

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i`ve got the same problem i have a laptop hp pavilion a mobility radeon x600 128 mb. i hope they can solve this problem

grEEdy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

thx a load

Post by grEEdy »

Hi there, thx for your hint. I also changed to NOD32 and had the same problems. I not only changed to another virus scanner but also upgraded some drivers and did some other stuff so i didnt think about the virus scanner as the source of the problems. now it works fine again but anyways i created a second windows installation just for resolume nothing else to speed things up and keep everything nice and clean. still doesnt work like i want but i guess i'll find out.

chEErs and thx though mate :-)