Questions about how resolume works on machine

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
exidor12
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Questions about how resolume works on machine

Post by exidor12 »

hello!

i'm beginning to build my first show on my desktop computer and am trying to understand a little bit about how resolume works under the hood, in pursuit of general understanding, and to hopefully use as little resources as possible when i bring it over to a laptop.

say there are 11 layers running, but only 1 at full opacity at a time. is this easier on the machine than 11 layers at various levels of opacity? or does it not matter and 11 layers running is equally taxing, regardless of opacity?

generally speaking, how does resolume use RAM? i've got stats up and i'm a bit surprised by what i'm seeing - i'm seeing 42% usage when nothing is playing. removing decks, clearing clips, removing layers, nothing seems to affect this number. i'm on a m1 max mac studio, with 64 gigs ram, running monterey and resolume avenue 7.4.1. i've got one test deck that i'm using, with seven layers, with about 100 1080p clips on average about 15-20s long. all footage is the latest DXV3 and is on the internal SSD.

for my show i'm using 1080p footage for my base layer, and the rest of the 10 layers will be archival footage which is 640x480. i currently scaled it up to 1080p before importing into resolume, but i'm wondering if it would be better for resolume if i left it at 640x480 and scaled it up within resolume.

lastly, does anyone have a sense of how difficult this task would be for a m1 macbook air? wondering if i can get away with using my girlfriend's laptop for a while or if i would need to get a more powerful laptop to accomplish this. i'd be using some effects, but not many. i'm also hoping to be running a relatively simple ableton set at the same time... guessing overall this is a "it depends" kind of question, but wondering if anyone has any perspective on "likely this will work on m1 air" or "unlikely, doubt it"

thanks!
kyle