Shown values vs actual values with hidden decimal places

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
kai
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Shown values vs actual values with hidden decimal places

Post by kai »

If values have additional decimal places that are not being shown, but are non zero values then the value should be marked in a red color.

In order to alleviate the additional non zero values instead of having to click in the field and manually type in the value there should be a couple of ways to address this. Middle clicking the value should immediately truncate any non zero decimal places that are currently hidden and make the shown value absolute.

Also in the alt menu at the top under "Clip" there should be an option to "Truncate all values that have non zero hidden numericals." This should also have a shortcut key to accomplish this.

One step further would be to have a global option that says sliders and values will automatically round to the nearest .xx decimal or .x decimal. Or that shown values will always be absolute (ie no hidden numericals) without any ability for in between values to be selected via the sliders unless specifically typed in. This would most likely be auto disabled for values that have automation enabled on them.

What does everyone think? Does this solve some headaches and perhaps increases workflow?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Shown values vs actual values with hidden decimal places

Post by Zoltán »

foat numbers are very rarely accurate to 1 or two decimals
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

kai
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Shown values vs actual values with hidden decimal places

Post by kai »

I understand this. But there is no clear indication whether or not a value is 1.5 or 1.50349 unless you click in the field to discover this. It always just says 1.5

As it stands right now for every clip I basically have to click through all the automation values say for speed for instance and retype the value. Sometimes the value shown is the actual value, but sometimes I click in the field and more numbers pop up that state the value was actually higher than what was being shown. I have no way of knowing which is the case until I click in the field.

I have attached photos. How would I know that the value was actually 1.002 unless I clicked in the field? If the number was in red to indicate this it would be very helpful.
Attachments
image_2023-08-09_052642992.png
image_2023-08-09_052642992.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
Arena_u9F7cIXDJk.png
Arena_u9F7cIXDJk.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 1866 times