Wire: Feature suggestion: Expose type on Gradient

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
webel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Wire: Feature suggestion: Expose type on Gradient

Post by webel »

If you haven't already (I don't have the latest Wire version) could you please expose the 'type' as a drivable inlet (pin/port) on Gradient, so one can easily choose between Horizontal, Vertical, Radial, Angular.

[EDIT: @tijnisfijn has kindly shown this is indeed available on newer versions of Wire.]
Last edited by webel on Fri Dec 22, 2023 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Darren Kelly (PLAYlogo), Webel IT Australia

tijnisfijn

Re: Wire: Feature suggestion: Expose type on Gradient

Post by tijnisfijn »

Hi, you can do this already. Just select the gradient node and right Click on it. And under visibility select type . Here you can also make more inputs visible. There are quite a few nodes that have more outputs or inputs, then the ones that you see at first. So trying to right click on a node and seeing what else is there, is always a good tip.

webel

Post by webel »

@tijnisfijn, thx for reply. I'm a frequent Wire user and already familiar with the option to expose or hide specific inlets (a nice feature I use often). I'm using an older Wire version 7.13.2.17774, and at least on that version, as far as I can tell, the Type inlet is not exposable, see screenshot.

Method and Mode are, at least in that version, also apparently not exposable.

As you can see from the screenshot, I'm am currently using a workaround, using Choice In and Switch (not shown) to choose between 4 Gradient node variants, which may incur a performance hit (haven't tested to compare).

tmp-issue-gradient-type.jpg

tijnisfijn

Post by tijnisfijn »

OK then this is probably the workaround that you should take or maybe consider doing a update because in the newer versions it is possible....

on tip i can give you is bypass the 3 gradients that you're not using that helps you save same frames.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 07.33.24.png
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 07.52.32.png

webel

Post by webel »

@tijnisfijn Thx for reply:

> ... you should take or maybe consider doing a update because in the newer versions it is possible....

When a version of Wire is released with with sub-patching (which is not just a "feature", but a fundamental part of patch-based programming architecture), I'll upgrade.

> ... bypass the 3 gradients that you're not using that helps you save same frames.

Yes, good tip, Zoltan showed me similar once for handling many Video sources in a single patch more efficiently, I'll definitely introduce that if performance becomes an issue.

tijnisfijn

Post by tijnisfijn »

I am trying to make it a habit to always bypass stuff that I don't use. There are lots of nodes that have bypass options. Bypassing one isn't really making much difference but if you try to make it the standard to always bypass everything, it will add up and make your patch much more responsive and less intensive.

And you're right about Sub-patches they would be a real upgrade and something I'm also waiting for since the first version. ;)

webel

Post by webel »

@tijnisfijn

> I am trying to make it a habit to always bypass stuff that I don't use ..

I have just spent some time going through some patches doing exactly that. Have a great Xmas and New Year - one that hopefully includes sub-patching in Wire, which I've been using daily the last few days leading up to Xmas Eve to create custom plugins for Resolume.

tijnisfijn

Post by tijnisfijn »

Merry Christmas to you too