ASIO support for audio analysis

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Anonymous

ASIO support for audio analysis

Post by Anonymous »

Surely ASIO support for the FFT analyser and the facility to swap between different channels sending different audio streams would be a great addition. For example then Resolume could monitor a live dummer syncing events to the bass and snares in realtime, then swap to a channel with a laptop dj sending programmed beats or full mixes, or any other sound source. Then anything not needed for audio analysis like vocals or synths could be bypassed giving more accurate peaks for the frequencies driving events. This would give far more flexibilty to the function and allow better integration with complex audio setups with laptops, decks and live musicians. Plus ASIO has far lower latency and better quality than WDM, and is supported by all the high quality soundcards needed to route audio in a live situation.

benaline
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by benaline »

Originally posted by Anonymous
Surely ASIO support for the FFT analyser and the facility to swap between different channels sending different audio streams would be a great addition. For example then Resolume could monitor a live dummer syncing events to the bass and snares in realtime, then swap to a channel with a laptop dj sending programmed beats or full mixes, or any other sound source. Then anything not needed for audio analysis like vocals or synths could be bypassed giving more accurate peaks for the frequencies driving events. This would give far more flexibilty to the function and allow better integration with complex audio setups with laptops, decks and live musicians. Plus ASIO has far lower latency and better quality than WDM, and is supported by all the high quality soundcards needed to route audio in a live situation.
bump! (nearly 2 years on...)

Seriously though, are there any plans for asio support in the near future? The latency caused by using wdm/mme is probably my only real problem with resolume, everything else i can work around... Like a straying lover, I've even been starting to look towards max/msp just for this "feature" which really is a bit of a must-have for any app attempting any audio to video... its like resolume is part deaf (as well as part def)..

is it really so hard to introduce?

benaline

Re: ASIO support for audio analysis

Post by benaline »

Any likely hood of asio support making the next release?

Ben

Ps like the new forum, much nicer....

benaline

Post by benaline »

benaline wrote:Any likely hood of asio support making the next release?

Ben

Ps like the new forum, much nicer....
Ahh resolume 3 now ASIO freindly!

:D

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

If you look at the Audio Tab in the Preferences you can clearly see an Asio 'configure...' button (Windows).
That should have given a clue i would say :). Anyway ASIO devices are supported because their latency is unmatched, if you have one you should be able to select it in the Audio Output Device combobox.
In OSX CoreAudio is used.

benaline

Post by benaline »

Tricky clue to spot back in April... (though I think there is some temporalmultimiscomunificationing going on! :) )

Anyway, great addition to resolume.

For those without specific ASIO drivers, ASIO4all (http://www.asio4all.com/) offers a very stable generic asio driver for pretty much any run of the mill soundcard.